Monday 10 September 2007

Death, contribution, change and time.

Attending a neighbour's funeral today has me thinking about death, contributions people make, what changes and how time can get distorted. Nothing like big topics for a Monday morning! It's my belief that people live on in the hearts and minds of those who loved or appreciated them. I think Luciano Pavarotti who died last week will be with us in spirit for a very long time to come, he gave us something so very special and in his singing made a wonderful contribution to humanity.

But I will also remember Ron over the road with affection, for his good humour, courage and friendship. He too loved music. At 87, to me he's always been here since we moved to this area nearly 20 years ago. I heard much more about him at his funeral today - packed out with people - than I knew before. I heard he was born in the next village but one, attended the methodist church, played the violin, supported Luton at football, was a family man and enjoyed big family picnics, holidays in Scotland, his allotment and growing dahlias. We heard more about his working life in the area too and chillingly that he was among the first to go into Belsen after it was liberated, where he worked in a military hospital. He lived a full life and he too made his contribution to humanity in many ways and I've been very glad to have him and his family as neighbours.

I'm struck by the way the world appears to change when people die and time seems distorted. Death is inevitable but when people are alive it feels like they will always be there, even though I know at a rational level they won't. An important reminder not to take them or life itself for granted. Today I've been celebrating Ron's life with his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

No comments: