Saturday 17 November 2007

Climate change agreed...what next?

"A UN panel has agreed a landmark report declaring that climate change is "unequivocal" and may bring "abrupt and irreversible" impacts." says this article on the BBC website. Behind the headline was what reported as 'arduous talks' to reach agreement and I've no doubt that in doing so this panel has a major achievement. So why does it feel like old news? It highlights for me something about our use of science....really important to know the 'what' but a lot of the challenge to humanity comes in recognising the 'so what?' What I can't tell from this article is what is new here. Are they saying the 'abrupt' nature of change expected is something new or are they saying the level of agreement is something new or both?...in either case I guess I'm already convinced about what's being said here and ready for more on 'what next'?

No comments: