Thursday 19 February 2009

From airport protests to migration

Interesting article from Leo Hickman in yesterday's Guardian about two opposing protests due today, one against airport expansion and one in favour. Reading the tongue-in-cheek tone of those in favour reminds me that environmental arguments are so often couched in very serious terms which I think leaves them open to quite successful opposition. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trivialising the issues of the effects of increased airport expansion and I'm not in favour of expansion. But like many I do fly sometimes and have an ongoing struggle with issues of individual and collective responsibility and action and the lack of congruence between what I espouse and what I sometimes actually do. Quite a contrast between these protests and last night's superb Nature's Great Events BBC programme on the salmon run which took wildlife filming to yet another new high. Hard to see these situations as connected but I suppose it wouldn't take that much for climate change to disrupt the salmon migration which could see the total collapse of all we were looking at.

No comments: