Friday 14 January 2011

An update

Quite a gap here since my last blog entry but a lot going on. I've been blogging a little on another site within the OU in my role as Chair of TU812 Managing Systemic Change - a new OU course that started in November. I wanted to try out the blogging tools on our VLE. I'm also chairing TD866 Environmental Responsibility at present and have been enjoying the student forums.

There are times when my reflections don't reach my blog but I find it useful to note down what I've been up to so I can keep track. Things I've been thinking about since my last blog entry:

Cemetries and green burial sites - new territory for me because of a recent bereavement. What purpose do permanent memorials serve? I think they are pretty important but can take many different forms and are about the living as much as the dying. There's a peace of mind that comes with knowing that there's somewhere respectful, peaceful and beautiful to sit and remember. There are some lovely places around UK where this is possible - an increasing number of them associated with 'natural death'.

At the end of October I enjoyed a day out at the Resurgence conference in London - 'To be a pilgrim or tourist?' The idea challenges consumerist views of tourism and is about trying to shift the balance more towards appreciating nature and culture. I found Satish Kumar inspiring as were several of the other speakers. Loved Deborah Harrison's poems, the energy and thinking of Peter Owen Jones and thought Ursula King's overview was great.

Right now I'm thinking about the flooding in Brazil, Australia and Sri Lanka. Trying to make sense of what's going on and the continuing commentary - human suffering and resilience, La Nina weather patterns due to ocean cooling, the nature of links with climate change. Heartbreaking to see people in Brazil searching for lost relatives.

No comments: