Tuesday 18 January 2011

Whole system reform - evidence of systemic or systematic thinking?

Michael Gove in his speech to the Education World Forum on 11th January commented that
"....whole-system reform is needed to every aspect of our education system if we are to build a truly world-class education system."
The current UK Government seems to have latched on to the idea of whole-system reform not just in education but in many other areas such as health and planning. While I recognise some needs for change I'm very uneasy about the scale of these proposed changes all at the same time. I do wonder if Gove and his colleagues recognise that 'whole-system reform' is not something they'll be able to control. So I doubt it will work out as a fair process for all even if that's what's intended. There are likely to be many unintended consequences. It'd be good to see this sort of comment as evidence of systemic thinking but I get a sense that it's more about systematic change.

No comments: