Monday 13 July 2009

Finding a balance in natural history programmes

I find TV programmes that are all doom and gloom regarding our natural world so deeply depressing I can't often watch, however shocking. So I find a personal dilemma in George Monbiot's challenge to the BBC. Should I enjoy 'beautiful thrilling programmes about the world's wildlife' or join Monbiot in calling for more acknowledgement and explanation of political and environmental contexts? I do think he has a good point but I also don't agree that people necessarily believe, as a result of seeing these programmes, that all is well with the world's ecosystems. My research has shown that people develop many simultaneous understandings about our enviornment, not just one, and I think there's plenty around that shows all is not well. Though if, as he says, no BBC programme has as yet taken a look at effects of climate change in East Africa then I also think that needs to be addressed.

4 comments:

David Chapman said...

Do you think that maybe all that is needed is a little more reference to the effects of climate change in programmes that are otherwise as now? That is, you have all this wonderful filming of amazing nature, but just add the odd aside about the consequences of climate change? Like you, I don't often choose to watch doom-and-gloom programmes, but for me when I watch natural history programmes I've already got nagging worries at the back of my mind: "how long is this going to last".

Chris said...

I think a lot of programmes do start or end with a comment on what is watched being under threat. Perhaps a bit more context but not all of it negative would help? It'd be good to know how typical and extensive the scenes are without using shock tactics. Also whether the area is protected and how people and wildlife issues work together in the area as a whole. Main climate change issues of the area could also be interesting to hear about.

Heloise said...

Hi Chris

I work for Eden and wondered if you'd be interested in any information on upcoming programmes we will be showing. If so it would be great if you can let me know your contact details.

Many thanks

Danielle Kemble

chris said...

Hi Danielle
Sorry - didn't spot your comment. Yes - I'd be interested. Will email you
Chris